MY PERSONAL FILM FESTIVAL DURING THIS TIME - WEEK 01

Strange days, indeed. With a worldwide quarantine now in effect (more or less) due to COVID-19, I had many, many phone calls, video chats and social media interactions this past week with co-workers, family and friends. I hope you continue to be safe and as happy as you can be.

A good number of folks said they were going to watch a movie a day during this forced isolation. Having put in 10-hour work-from-home days everyday this past week, I wasn't sure if I would be able to join in this unexpected movie marathon. But I did.

Below is a list of films I saw this past week. You may care. You may not. My hope is that if you're looking to switch up what you're watching during this time, these films may spark your interest. While most of my commentary may be more fit for a personal diary, I will rate these films on a 5-star system (0 is the worst, 5 is the best) based on true worth-watching merit IMHO.

Sunday, March 15, 2020 The Railrodder (1965)
My wife, 6 kids and 2 cats spent most of last weekend setting up our work/school-from-home desks last weekend. When I needed a break from all the planning and stress, I went on Twitter and found this gem from Buster Keaton - The Railrodder (1965). Props to @Frian for posting it. Quite simply, this is Buster Keaton's last great film. He is in all his glory. I laughed out loud - a sound I hadn't heard for days.
Rating: 4 STARS


Monday, March 16, 2020 - The Family Jewels (1965)
I didn't promise all these films would be gems (pun intended). March 16 is Jerry Lewis' birthday. Keaton and Lewis are my favorite classic film stars. So, it seemed only fitting to follow-up Railrodder with Jerry Lewis' The Family Jewels (1965). I've seen this movie before and remember it being lame. It still is BUT it did have a good number of visual gags that I loved. Jerry Lewis pacing on a lawn over the course of the film - so much so that he creates a perfectly-dug rectangular trench - was my favorite. Also, I found fodder for a future Digging Star Wars comparison between this film and Star Wars: Episode I. Remember, George Lucas had Jerry Lewis as a college professor. Plus, it's a good time to watch a dumb or bad movie. Yes, I'm including Episode I in that mix.
Rating: 1 STAR

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)
Ah, St. Patrick's Day! We force the kids to watch this movie every St. Patty's Day and my older kids hate it. This year, we made watching optional - which pretty much meant my wife and I were left alone to watch it all by ourselves. Fine by me. The Secret of Roan Inish (1994) is delightful. Masterfully told by writer/director John Sayles.
Rating: 5 STARS

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - Green Book (2018)
Some films this past week just happened because a kid wanted to watch them or I was confined to my home office with my ol' VHS/TV combo. My oldest son wanted to watch Green Book (2018) - and who am I not to rewatch this Best Picture winner. Viggo Mortensen as Tony Lipp is the real star to watch in this movie. Not to take anything away from Mahershala Ali's Oscar-winning performance. Mortensen's portayal is rough, crude, smart, sensitive, honest, deceitful, despicable and lovable all at the same time. And the music of Don Shirley is so great. So great.
Rating: 5 STARS

Thursday, March 19, 2020 - Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe (1995)
Okay, I'm a Godzilla man. When I first started watching Gamera movies, I thought they were a joke. But the turtle grew on me over the years. I inherited Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe (1995) on VHS years back from fellow film friend Phil Congleton. Decent monster-battle effects. Wonderfully clunky dialogue ("It's the Harbor Patrol. They say that there's a giant submarine object approaching the inner harbor."). A few Jurassic Park (1993) references. Cheesy fun.
Rating: 1.5 STARS

Friday, March 20, 2020 - High Anxiety (1978)
Having recently rewatched The Man Who Knew Too Much (1955) and Marnie (1964) and hating them, I was ready to laugh at Hitchcock. Oh, don't worry, I know he's great and love a few of his films. I just needed to watch High Anxiety (1978) with a little reference. Thanks to a fellow member of the Classic Movie Fans of Philadelphia Facebook Group (Yo, Debbi!), I have a VHS copy of this Mel Brooks masterpiece.  Can I say that Mel Brooks is the man? The man!  He wrote, directed and produced this film in which he stars and sings in. Oh, yeah - he even wrote the music and lyrics of the theme song! This film is so funny, so irreverent while at the same time a true love letter to the cinema of Alfred Hitchcock. Classic film lovers, watch this movie!
Rating: 3 STARS


High Anxiety on VHS. What better film to watch during this past week?

Saturday, March 21, 2020 - Siren of the Tropics (1927)
Unable to sleep, I got up early today to finish watching Siren of the Tropics (1927). I started watching this over a week ago on my DVR and have had little time to get to that 1 DVR in my house with everybody home now. If you ever wondered, "What's the big deal about Josephine Baker?" - well, friends, this is the film to watch. This was the first feature film to star an African American (Baker, of course). She is sensational in every sense of the word - her silent film melodrama, her dancing, her peek-a-boo nude scenes. French film in the 20s - anything goes. Unfortunately, the story is paper thin and it really didn't keep my attention when Baker wasn't onscreen.
Rating: 1 STAR


IMDB links to what I've watched so far (most recent at the top of the list):
And that's a wrap. I hope to post a recap of my weekly watchings every weekend till this madness is over. Till then, be safe and comment below on what you're watching.

Comments

Popular Posts