BOOK REVIEW: MEMORABLE SUPPORTING ACTORS AND ACTRESSES FROM THE 1930s TO 1950s: BOOK 1 – A THROUGH I BY GARY KOKA

 A MINOR SPOILER BOOK REVIEW:

MEMORABLE SUPPORTING ACTORS AND ACTRESSES FROM THE 1930s TO 1950s: BOOK 1 – A THROUGH I by Gary Koka

Photo by Chris Mich

Like the supporting actors and actresses in his sixth classic film book that are present for the lead cast to shine, Gary Koka is here with this long-titled book for support of classic movies fans like you and me. MEMORABLE SUPPORTING ACTORS AND ACTRESSES FROM THE 1930s TO 1950s: BOOK 1 – A THROUGH I is lovingly written by a knowledgeable classic film aficionado, not so much in an ostentatious way of “here: look at what I know” but more in the “here: check this out” fashion that a best friend, old college roommate, or fellow film nerd may talk to you. While its old school phonebook appearance may be off-putting (I thought it was wonderfully ironic and funny that a book organizing names in alphabetical order had a yellow and black cover) or even dated, move past those emotions. This is a book written by one film fan to many film fans last year. That’s right: this book was written in 2021, mentions COVID-19, and often has a post-pandemic perspective on films and celebrityness. He also isn’t afraid to be casual and personal in tone while spewing the necessary facts to get your attention for any of the B-level celebrities in this tome. In a few instances, he slips and misspells a name or two, or part of a title is italicized then not, but who cares? The love and facts come through all the same.

Photo by Chris Mich

Structurally, it’s simple. He breaks his alphabetical guideline right out of the gate and starts off with his “Top Five Supporting Actors and Actresses.” My guess is it’s in order of preference, since the five are NOT in alphabetical order: Walter Brennan precedes Don Duryea and Claude Rains precedes Walther Brennan and so on. This first section is incredibly fun to read, as Koka’s admiration for his Top 5 is palpable and it reminds me of the many, many impromptu film list discussions I’ve been involved in over the years like this list of My Top 25 Favorite Movies I made for a fellow member of Facebook’s Classic Movie Fans of Philadelphia years ago.

On page 46, Koka wraps up his Top 5 and bluntly starts section 2 of his book, simply and almost coldly titled “The Rest.” He explains himself in these words on page 47:

“The remaining supporting actors and actresses are listed in alphabetical order, with less information about each individual and 3-7 of my favorite films of that individual.”

And so, from Dame Judith Anderson to John Ireland, Koka churns out info on each minor star and starlet. But the love isn’t truly lessened as he prepared in his page 47 disclaimer. Koka does an excellent job of sharing why he chose the thespian on the page, as well as providing a short bio, awards, fun facts, favorite films, production stills and very coy footnotes. Koka does his job well: here’s some info, some personal opinion, leaving a lot out but hey, you reader….you SHOULD seek out these performances and more – these people are worth it. Like any fan discussion, you’ll find yourself agreeing, disagreeing, maybe even questioning his view on the films, cast and an array of other details. My favorite example of this is a footnote about Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) and Margaret O’Brien in his Harry Davenport write-up. Footnote #118 reads:

“It’s probably me, but I have always felt that a little bit of Margaret O’Brien goes a long way in this motion picture.”

Couldn’t agree more! Since my daughter Clare and I saw this film in theaters during TCM’s 2019 Big Screen event with the Classic Movies Fans of Philadelphia, we often joke that O’Brien is the real star of the picture. Judy Garland who? 

The fun facts are all over the place: from marriage/divorce stats to Oscar wins to the fact that John Wayne accidentally shot Ward Bond on a hunting trip (p. 79). That last tidbit was referred to in Bruce Springsteen’s song Western Stars.

In the end, a book like this should make you want to watch more classic films. It succeeds. His write-up of Walter Brennan inspired me to finally watch the $1 DVD of Rio Bravo (1959) I picked up weeks back. Thank you, Gary! I also added the following titles to my watchlist: Imitation of Life (1934), The Westerner (1940), Dr. Cyclops (1940), Laura (1944), Africa Screams (1949), and Invaders from Mars (1953). Please don’t think less of me for not having seen these films already – especially the friends that have recommended some of the titles over the years. As you know, time is short, films are many, and I am currently averaging only 3 films a week (according to Letterboxd).

I found Gary Koka’s book in one of my favorite bookstores, The Bookateria Two. You can find it on Amazon. If you miss old movie talk or want to support a writer who clearly loves classic cinema, I encourage you to pick up a copy.

Special thanks to Out of the Past blogger Raquel Stecher for hosting the 2022 Classic Film Reading Challenge. This post is my sixth official entry. To join us in this fun summer endeavor, visit her blog for more details. 

#classicfilmreading

Comments

  1. Congrats on finishing the challenge! You've done such an amazing job this summer. I've never heard of this book but I do love a good tome with lots of fun facts. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raquel! It's been fun. I was hoping to log one more book in the #classicfilmreading challenge. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts