MY PERSONAL FILM FESTIVAL DURING THIS TIME - WEEK 04

Here's what I watched this past week and rated on a 5-star system (0 is the worst, 5 is the best) based on true worth-watching merit IMHO.

Sunday, April 5, 2020 - Bella (2006)
One of my all-time favorite films. This screening was the first time my teeanage daughters saw this movie. Here's a review I did for Bella (2006) back in 2016 for Film366.com...
Rating: 5 STARS


Monday, April 6, 2020 - College (1927)
When Buster Keaton's The General (1926) bombed at the box office (that's right, it tanked in its initial run), Keaton was desperate to make a sure-fire hit. Talkies weren't waiting in the wings anymore, they were destined to become the future. And so, Keaton didn't try a talkie, he tried to make a can't-miss crowd-pleaser using tired, two-reeler-type tropes of the era. He failed miserably with College (1927). It performed worse than The General at the box office. The film is filled with stereotypes, lame gags and, unfortunately, a brief blackface routine. So, why did I watch it? First, I had never seen that blackface scene before in previous College screenings and was quite shocked to find it in there. Secondly, I knew College had some classic Keaton gags like his ridiculous track team hurdle-run and the classic "holding-an-umbrella-for-no one" gag as seen in the GIF below. There are a few other stunts and gags that are funny but, trust me, you can skip College. If you want to start watching Keaton, start with Sherlock Jr. (1924).
Rating: 1 STAR



Tuesday, April 7, 2020 - El Mariachi (1992)
For my oldest son's college Spanish class, he needed to watch a Spanish movie that took place and was shot south of the United States. When he came to me for a suggestion, it took a minute to remember the film that jet-propelled the career of Robert Rodriguez [Alita: Battle Angel (2019), Sin City (2005), and Spy Kids (2001) and many more]. Rodriguez started it all with El Mariachi (1992) - a film he wrote, directed, produced, shot and edited. Family members and neighbors are the cast. He said he lit most scenes with natural light and one light bulb that he had to move left to right of frame pending where the camera was positioned. These limitations play perfectly in creating a mise-en-scene where a poor travelling musician accidentally gets pinned as an assassin and soon has to fight for his life. The movie is gritty and clean, real and surreal, big in story and small in cute, little scenes. Yes, sometimes it feels like a straight-to-video release but I vividly remember when I first saw it on the big screen (I was about my oldest son's age) and begged the movie theater to give me the poster once the film's run was done. And, yes, BOTH my teenage sons like it, too, after this screening.
Rating: 3 STARS

My oldest son had a college assignment to watch a film with Spanish dialogue and was filmed south of the United Stated border. He chose El Mariachi (1992) upon Dad's suggestion. Part of the assignment was taking a picture of him watching the film (I'm not kidding). And so, here he is watching the opening credits. BTW, he liked the film, too.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 - Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)
My first screening of Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) was opening night back in December 2015 with my college buddies who were in my Star Wars Role-Playing Group (SWRPG). A few weeks ago, one of those guys said he was starting up a new SWRPG group and wanted to know if I was interested in playing. Wild Wampas couldn't keep me away! He also said that this campaign would take place during the RESISTANCE era. Interesting.To prep, I rewatched The Force Awakens. It stills is as much fun now as it was the first we all saw it. IMHO, this remains the best of the sequel trilogy.
Rating: 3 STARS

Some old friends of mine got together to run a Star Wars Role-Playing Game online. The campaign was set in the FIRST ORDER/RESISTANCE era. My own personal research involved revisiting The Force Awakens (2015).

Thursday, April 9, 2020 - Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928)
Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928) is on my same DVD with College (1927). This DVD was a Christmas gift, so I'm glad I got to watch both films before Easter. Steamboat is one of Keaton's more famous works, most likely, because the title inspired the title of the first film to star Mickey Mouse, Steamboat Willie (1928). It also features Keaton's most dangerous, legendary stunt when the side of a house falls on him - but he doesn't get a scratch because of the alignment on a window. The film also has plenty of epic, funny shots of Keaton dealing with gale force winds (at one point, he clings to a tree as it flies through a sea port). However, my favorite moments are his medium shots where you can read his face as he deals with his father (played by Ernest Torrence). Keaton is called "The Great Stone Face" since he doesn't ham up the close-ups like other silent film stars. However, in this scenes with his father, Keaton is able to jump between his trademark sad expression and emotional bursts of surprise, frustration, eagerness and determination. While not my favorite Keaton film, Steamboat is worth watching.
Rating: 3 STARS

Friday, April 10, 2020 - Son of God (2014)
We watched this film as a family for Good Friday. Below is my Film366.com video review of  Son of God (2014).
Rating: 3 STARS


Saturday, April 11, 2020 - Frozen II (2019)
A deal's a deal. Last week, my daughter Mary won "Favorite Movie Character" bracket and got to pick the flick for Family Movie Night. I saw this film in the theater and was mildly entertained. My daughters like it but it really is a return to when kids movies are boring for the parents. The first film was flawed but fun. This film is a little less fun.
Rating: 2 STARS

IMDB links to what I watched so far (most recent entries listed at the top):


And here's links to my previous week recaps of
MY PERSONAL FILM FESTIVAL DURING THIS TIME (oldest to newest):

Comments

Popular Posts