MY PERSONAL FILM FESTIVAL DURING THIS TIME - WEEK 02

Coronavirus continues.

I find it interesting how the events of any given day, the available "venue" and timing of each of these films occur. This past Wednesday, for instance, involved my oldest son and I traveling to his campus (per instructions from his college) to clean out his dorm room. The two of us were part of the 5 people permitted on the whole campus at that time (he was the ONLY student on campus during our designated hour). It was a long day with 8 hours in the car. With limited time and nostalgia for my college days coursing through my veins, I chose Theory of Achievement (1991) that day: a short film I discovered in my undergrad days.

Weekdays are a mixed bag.  It may be movies on VHS in my home office or DVD in my bedroom - since every other monitor is being used by my wife or six kids.

The weekends are rightfully different. Today, I got up my normal weekday time but since it was Saturday, I had the DVR all to myself. I watched I Married A Witch (1942). Ahhhhh, Veronica Lake.

At any rate, I kept on track and rated these films on a 5-star system (0 is the worst, 5 is the best) based on true worth-watching merit IMHO.. Here's what I watched this past week...

Sunday, March 22, 2020 - Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
In his book Henry Mancini: Reinventing Film Music, John Caps tells the tale of how many composers that worked under Universal Studios' Music Director Joseph Gershenson were not credited on the films they scored. Only Gershenson's name would appear in the film's titles. Mancini contributed to many science fiction (and other genre) films at Universal in the 1950s (uncredited, mind you) including the monster classic Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). The film inspired a good number of sequels including 2017 Best Picture The Shape of Water (2017) by Guillermo del Torro. That's due to the fact that the original is a perfect monster movie complete with testosterone-fueled scientists, a lovely leading lady  and a formidable villain (or is the creature the hero? Hmmmm.). This was my first screening of this classic in its entirety and I loved it.
Rating: 3.5 STARS

Monday, March 23, 2020 - When Worlds Collide (1951)
George Pal's The War of the Worlds (1953) has steadily held a place in my Top 10 Personal Favorite Films since I was 12.  When Worlds Collide (1951) has been on my watch list for decades and this past week I finally got my chance to see it. While not as great as War of the Worlds, this George Pal production delivers great 50s sci-fi in all departments: worldwide decimation, dazzling color cinematography and special effects and, of course, a lovely leading lady with Barbara Rush playing Joyce Hendron. This is a grand ol' movie to watch.
Rating: 3.5 STARS


I fear that my usual creative pictures of DVD and VHS cases may suffer during this forced isolation. In my defense, it just made sense that a movie revolving around beer should have its case photographed in the fridge.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - Strange Brew (1983)
When the world lost Max von Sydow on March 8th, many people listed noble works of his on social media. Or even The Force Awakens (2015). I listed Strange Brew (1983). This is definitely a comfort film for me. I giggle at the same spots with each viewing including the line, "He saw Jedi 17 times, eh? Beauty."
Rating: 3.5 STARS

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - Theory of Achievement (1991)
Hal Hartley is one of my all-time favorite writer/directors. While I didn't care for his work post 90s, I LOVE his early stuff including Theory of Achievement (1991). This short film has many of the players that would later populate his feature films including Bill Sage and Elina Löwensohn. Hartley's style is a mishmash of Carl Theodor Dreyer, John Ford, Buster Keaton and Ernest Hemmingway. It's practically custom-made for me. If you miss hanging out in diners or with an assortment of friends in a tiny apartment, this is the film for you.
Rating: 5 STARS
Theory of Achievement from Hal Hartley on Vimeo.

Thursday, March 26, 2020 - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)
After watching Strange Brew earlier this week, I just had to watch Jedi again. Please note: I purposefully didn't list it as "Episode VI" as in the Special Edition way of writing the title. I watched the Fox Video VHS version of the film. This VHS was the last time LucasFilm released of the original theatrical version on VHS and it looks pretty good. Way better than the bonus DVD they released with the Special Edition version of the film. The video below is a Return of the Jedi (1983) Film366.com review I did back in 2015...
Rating: 3 STARS

Friday, March 27, 2020 - The Mole People (1956)
Another new-to-me 1950s sci-fi classic. I had The Mole People (1956) on DVD since Christmas. This week, a comment on the Museum of Science Fiction's Facebook page post prompted me to watch it.  Hugh Beaumont [better known as Ward Cleaver, the father from the 1950s TV show Leave It To Beaver (1957)] plays Dr. Jud Bellamin, a rugged archaeologist who (along with his excavation team) discovers an underground civilization and terrible consequences. By sheer coincidence, @Blobfest on Instagram said this was the #mustwatch film of the day. Good thing I watched it - even though it truly is MST3K material.
Rating: 0.5 STAR
Yes. Yes, I have.

Saturday, March 28, 2020 - I Married A Witch (1942)
Admittedly, I dislike witchcraft movies. But when I saw this Veronica Lake picture on the TCM program guide, I just had to record it. A Veronica Lake film I've never seen? No brainer: press record! Lake and the director Rene Clair do not disappoint in creating a fun excuse to watch Lake's every movement. Her delivery, performance, wardrobe (or lack thereof) and every little thing she does is, well, magic. Frederich March's performance is on-point comical while at the same time giving Lake plenty of room to be funny and sexy. Plus, the special effects for a 40s film are quite impressive. Unfortunately, the overall story is a bit flat and doesn't really evolve into anything tremendous. But, if you're looking for another grand ol' movie to watch late at night (or in the wee hours of the morning like me), I Married A Witch (1942) is worth seeing once.
Rating: 2 STARS

IMDB links to what I watched so far (most recent entries listed at the top):


And here's a link to my previous week recap of
MY PERSONAL FILM FESTIVAL DURING THIS TIME:
And that's that. Who knows where the next week will take me cinematically? Check back in the next entry to find out. Hope you are safe and watching (and discovering) something you truly enjoy during this time.

Comments

Popular Posts