DSW10: TOP 10 FILM RECOMMENDATIONS from ANN AVALLONE

On Halloween 2020, Digging Star Wars turns 10! To celebrate, we've asked previous contributors to provide a Top 10 Recommended Films. Here's a Top 10 list and words from one of our guest writers, Ann Avallone, who wrote Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto - part of our 2020 series on The Mandalorian ....

Chris and Ann at TCM’s Big Screen presentation of
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND 


 Ann Avallone’s All-Time Top Ten Movie list

When Chris Mich, founder of the Digging Star Wars blog, put a request out for those of us who have been guest bloggers to write a celebratory entry for the 10th anniversary of the blog, I was happy to comply! Coming up with a top ten list when you are an avid movie fan is a difficult task. Since I am a devoted classic movie fan, most of my favorites are classic movies. However, a few contemporary movies (or movies after 1970, as my kids like to put it) have made it to my list. I have to admit that I have re-watched many of these movies recently during quarantine (as many of us have been doing).

The following list is in no particular order:

The Clock, 1945

Smilin’ Through, 1932

La La Land, 2016

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 1977

The Women, 1939

It’s a Wonderful Life, 1946

The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1934

Interstellar, 2014

An American in Paris, 1951

Dances with Wolves, 1990


Honorable mention:

Stage Door, 1937 (Story and Ensemble Acting category)

Meatballs, 1979 (Guilty Pleasure Comedy category)

The Way We Were, 1973 (Guilty Pleasure Romance category)

Imitation of Life, 1959 (Guilty Pleasure Tearjerker category)

Any Leslie Howard movie (Epitome of an English gentleman)


The Digging Star Wars 10th Anniversary logo art at the top of this blog was supplied by artist Scott Dertby. Please visit his website scottderbyart.com or Esty site to pick up some of his collectible and wearable art. Thanks again to Ann and Scott for contributions to this DSW post...and previous posts, too! May the Force be with you!


Comments

  1. Nice list thanks for sharing🙂🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 10years anniversary. I didn't hear for most of them but La La Land is marvellous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, ten years of blogging! I am in a lot of bloggers groups and so far I think you win on the longest time blogging. Congratulations! ����

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Funko hasbro

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts