DSW10: TOP 10 FILM RECOMMENDATIONS from JOHN CERVINO


On Halloween 2020, Digging Star Wars turns 10! To celebrate, we've asked previous contributors to provide a Top 10 Recommended Films...and to write about their experience with DSW. Here's a Top 10 list and words from John Cervino...


I don’t remember which “Season” of DSW I was a part of, but my guest role was reviewing an entire season of "The Clone Wars." It was Season Four, and the standout moments in my DSW appearance was talking about the trippy journey R2 and 3PO took through Aleen, with giant magic mushrooms and every kind of weird colorful creatures. And then somehow, Darth Maul, though literally cut in half, returns with spider legs. Sigh. I love Star Wars and The Clone Wars, but I just thought it was stupid. Since then, the writers replaced Maul’s legs with cooler mechanical ones, and gave him an arc to confront Obi-Wan again, so I guess in retrospect it was a good move to bring him back somehow. The rest of my guest review was basically saying “remember that part? That was cool!” I admire you, Chris, in the way that you have the attention to remember names and places, where I have a hard time remembering more than the bare bones of the stories.

My movie list is an abrupt change of direction, and I hope you find it interesting, at least.

As you know, Neil Finn is my favorite musician. 

David Bowie : Chris Mich :: Neil Finn : John Cervino

Anyway, I thought I’d like to see if I could build a list of films that have Crowded House or Neil Finn music in them. There were plenty, and I tried to make my list of films I had seen. I managed a pretty good list, with some Star Wars surprise connections.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

(lyrics: "Song of the Lonely Mountain") 2012

Two Star Wars connections here. Christopher Lee plays Saruman in The Hobbit, Count Dooku in Star Wars prequels. Andy Serkis, Gollum in The Hobbit, is also Snoke’s voice in the lates Sequel trilogy.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower 

(writer: "Don't Dream It's Over") 2012


Adventureland 

(writer: "Don't Dream It's Over" Crowded House) 2009

Bill Hader has a role in Adventureland, and he provided voice work that became BB-8’s sounds.


In the Land of Women

(performer: "Try Whistling This") / (writer: "Try Whistling This") 2007

I have not seen this movie, but it was directed by Lawrence Kasdan’s (Empire Strikes Back) son Jonathan Kasdan


The Ferryman 

(writer: "Dirty Creature" Split Enz) 2007

I have not seen this movie. There is a tenuous star wars connection-John Rhys Davies is Sallah in Raiders, Harrison Ford=Han Solo


Antz 

(performer: "I Can See Clearly Now") 1998


Reality Bites 

(writer: "Locked Out", "Something So Strong" Crowded House) 1994


Rain 

(writer: "Bath/You Don't Know", "Summer of Love", "Joyride", "Orange and Blue", "Drive Home" - as N. Finn) 2001 

I’ve wanted to see this movie, as the soundtrack was largely done by Neil and his brother Tim. It’s a New Zealand film, shot in the same locations as “The Piano”, Kare Kare beach and surrounding area. No Star Wars connection as far as I know. Other than Clones all have NZ accents, because Jango was evidently Maori! From New Zealand Herald, 2018: Māori actor Temuera Morrison played Jango Fett, from whom we learned Boba Fett (and indeed the entire imperial army) was cloned. It brought Rotorua swagger to the most iconic supporting bad-ass in Star Wars history. 


Beautiful Girls (writer: "I Got You" Split Enz) 1996

Natalie Portman is in this film, who of course plays Padme Amidala in the prequels.


Cosi (writer: "Don't Dream It's Over") 1996

Ben Mendlesohn is in this film, who plays Director Krennic in Rogue One. Not Star wars related, but this movie also has Colin Hay in it, from Men at Work.


Readers: John also recorded a Digging Star Wars episode with his sons reviewing Ender's Game. Check it out!

The Digging Star Wars 10th Anniversary logo art at the top of this blog was supplied by artist Scott Dertby. Please visit his website scottderbyart.com or Esty site to pick up some of his collectible and wearable art. Thanks again to John and Scott for contributions to this DSW post...and previous posts, too! May the Force be with you!


Comments

Popular Posts