DSW10: TOP 10 FILM RECOMMENDATIONS from DAVID P. RAMOS


On Halloween 2020, Digging Star Wars turns 10! To celebrate, we've asked previous contributors to provide a Top 10 Recommended Films...and to write about their experience with DSW. Here's a Top 10 list and words from DSW S1E8: THE TERMINATOR guest David. P. Ramos...

Favorite Movies Over the Past 6 Years

1. LOGAN (2017) 20th Century Fox

2. KLAUS (2019) Netflix - Directed by Sergio Pablos

3. KNIVES OUT (2019) Lionsgate - Director: Rian Johnson

4. THE HALF OF IT (2020) Netflix – Director: Alice Wu

5.Tie: THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS (2018) – Neon - Director: Tim Wardle

... & ... FREE SOLO (2018) – National Geographic Films – Directors: Elizabeth Chai 

Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin

6. BABY DRIVER (2017) - TriStar Pictures- Director: Edgar Wright

7. JOHN WICK (2014) – Lionsgate - Director: Chad Stahelski

8. ISLE OF DOGS (2018) – Fox Searchlight - Director: Wes Anderson

9. WESTERN STARS (2019) -  Warner Bros. – Directors: Thom Zimny and Bruce Springsteen

10. 1917 (2019) – Universal – Director: Sam Mendes



My list is 10 films that I've enjoyed over the last  6 years.  Since having kids, I don't get to see movies in the theater very much. However I do get to see a lot of movies when I travel, especially on planes. There are few films on this list that I watched while flying 32,000 ft over the Earth.  The list is in no specific order, but I did have a tie for my favorite documentary. I tried to pick a list that had a bunch of different genres. Documentaries are something I've gotten into more over the past few years. 1917 was a film I was very excited to see based on my admiration for cinematographer Rodger Deakins. I didn't really know much about the film going into the theater to see it but was completely blown away by it story first, then its technological prowess. I could not wait to see it the second time in the theater so I could focus on the technical side making the film. Both FREE SOLO and THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS, I watched while on a plane. Both films completely captivated me, and I found myself physically reacting to the content either with laughter or tears or fidgeting on the edge of my seat watching the free solo climb of El Capitan. LOGAN was a complete departure from the bombastic Marvel storytelling of the MCU. (which I thoroughly enjoy)  I loved the very specific and muted storytelling and character study. It was a very intense film that felt very real even though it was a superhero movie. KLAUS was something I watched with the family on Netflix and loved the story and animation. It felt very old school in the look  and the feel of the animation. I loved the very hand drawn look of the character designs and layouts of the backgrounds. The story was fantastic, and it was an instant Christmas classic to be re-revisited again and again. Speaking of animation, I had to include ISLE OF DOGS by Wes Anderson. I almost don't consider this an animated film since his style of filmmaking makes his live action films sometimes seem animated. Unfortunately I did not get to see BABY DRIVER in the theater. but I have played the first 10 minutes of the film on multiple projectors during setups for Live Events including a 12 Screen Video wall. The first 10 minutes of the film featuring the car chase is absolutely an amazing feat of filmmaking. JOHN WICK is in its own right a feat of filmmaking for the stunt genre. It is a fantastic Thrill Ride of a Movie with two ‘o’s.  KNIVES OUT is the type of movie Rian Johnson should be focusing on. I loved the twists and turns of the movie. The performances were a joy to watch and the editing really brought the film to a new level.  THE HALF OF IT is a small independent movie that should be championed. it is a completely charming character piece that I enjoyed thoroughly. The directing and the filmmaking are spot on. If you haven't seen this one on Netflix yet you definitely should seek it out. I hope to see more projects from Alice Wu as this was only her second film. WESTERN STARS was a film I was really looking forward to as I am a Springsteen fanatic. I went to see this one in the theater by myself and was one of maybe 7 to 10 people in the theater. I did not know what to expect from a filmmaking perspective as I knew there were interstitials between the live performances of the songs. Springsteen's music has always been cinematic and the pieces he narrates between the songs piece the narrative of the songs on the album together nicely.   The writing was a continuation of his brilliant work on ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ which was on my list until I decided it wasn't really a film, so I went with Western Stars instead.  

I recently listened to my appearance on Digging Star Wars again. It reminded me of the fun we had in recording the episode. I remember doing the research for the films we talked about in the episode. It was really enjoyable to find connections between the two films and to discover a connection to American writer Harlan Ellison and The Terminator. He is one of my favorite authors and it was great to find the Outer Limits episodes that he wrote inspired the Terminator. I remember Chris testing out the software he used to record my telephone call. I also remember being surprised in hearing the final episode with what he did with the musical transitions which I believe was relatively new to the episodes. It was also nice to discover the comments from Phil Congleton on the episode. I had not seen his comments until I recently listened to it again. The episode definitely reminded me of the many and long discussions Chris and I had when we were roommates at the University of the Arts in the early 90’s. 

Congrats on the 10th anniversary!

Thanks, David! 

And Readers - Do yourself a favor and check out Dave's Holiday Mix blog.  Every year Dave compiles cool and wonky holiday tunes into an entertaining playlist. This year will be Vol. 21. So, get crackin'! After all, Halloween is nearly here and it'll be New Year's Eve before you know it!


The Digging Star Wars 10th Anniversary logo art at the top of this blog was supplied by artist Scott Dertby. Please visit his website scottderbyart.com or Esty site to pick up some of his collectible and wearable art. Thanks again to David and Scott for contributions to this DSW post...and previous posts, too! May the Force be with you!

Comments

  1. Great list! I am a big Wes Anderson fan and agree with your comment about all of his movies seeming like they are cartoons. Definitely a feast for the eyes! Looking forward to checking out your Holiday mix for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funko hasbro “Star Wars” I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts