DSW10: TOP 10 FILM RECOMMENDATIONS from MICHAEL ZOLOMIJ


On Halloween 2020, Digging Star Wars turns 10! To celebrate, we've asked previous contributors to provide a Top 10 Recommended Films...and to write about their experience with DSW. Here's a Top 10 list and words from DSWS3E3: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN guest Michael Zolomij...



Top Ten Movies List

 #1 Rocky - I can’t think of many movies that have so much heart, captured the heart of a city, changed a city, AND changed how you can move a camera. This is my number one because it is my Philly.

#2 Buckaroo Banzai - this movie can be so easily overlooked. It is like a wonderful 80’s onion, it has so many layers to it. One could spend the rest of their life saying, “No matter where you go, there you are.” But few will find love for Blue Blazer Regulars Pinky Corothers, Scooter and Casper Lindley. #Rocket88 #SynedSealedAndDelivered

#3 Clerks - Life changing. Kevin Smith is the man that has continually evolved ahead of the norm. I love him.

#4 El Mariachi - This is really a tie with Clerks, along with Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez has always inspired me. If you are a young filmmaker or just need a kick in the ass to do something, read Robert Rodriguez’s “Rebel Without a Crew” and, much like Kevin Smith, then go out and do it.

#5 Unforgiven - I have always loved Clint Eastwood. The eternal badass. In this movie he perfects the genre of the Clint cowboy movie. I know that so many will run to exalt the virtues of Outlaw Jose Wales but to be honest... I was always a High Plains Drifter guy... and maybe Bronco Billy

#6 Blues Brothers - They’re on a mission for God and the Triple Rock Baptist Church is the only place that made me see the light.

#7 Joker - Director Todd Phillips and DoP Lawrence Sher created an amazing original dark masterpiece.

#8 Baby Driver - Action Musical, yup, let’s create this genre and only allow Baby Driver in it. Listen, I know that a lot of people in this movie turned out to be total creeps but Edgar Wright creates a true masterpiece with this movie... just watch it and then go to the Behind the Scenes Extras. You are welcome. Also, this is the movie that I would credit one of my boys falling in love with filmmaking. So there’s that too.

#9 TIE Spider-man into the Spider-verse and Spider-man: Far from Home - I know ties are super lame... just make a f’n decision, man! Nope! My love for Spider-man runs very, very deep and these two movies truly deliver what my heart desired. Yes, Tom Halland and Miles Morales are my Spider-men... I can not and will not choose.

#10 Netflix Daredevil - “But Mike Z, this isn’t a movie! You clearly aren’t following the rules!” No, Gomer, I am not. Amazing series: written, acting, camera, sound and lighting design, and editing. #TheManWithoutFear

The Digging Star Wars 10th Anniversary logo art at the top of this blog was supplied by artist Scott Dertby. Please visit his website scottderbyart.com or Esty site to pick up some of his collectible and wearable art. Thanks again to Mike and Scott for contributions to this DSW post...and previous posts, too! May the Force be with you!

Comments

Popular Posts